Carmel Valley is a community in the north-western corner of San Diego, California. Carmel Valley is one of the newer neighborhoods of the City of San Diego, California. It is a master planned community that was formed by the City of San Diego on February 1, 1975, but construction did not start until 1983. The name Carmel Valley comes from the Carmelite Sisters of Mercy, who established a dairy farm and monastery in the area around 1905. Although the area was known locally by the name Carmel Valley, in 1974 the area was given the institutional name “North City West” in the master plan. The name “Carmel Valley” was readopted in the early 1990s.